Thursday, September 25, 2008

Diversity in the Newsroom


I have a hard time understanding diversity in the newsroom to its fullest potential. Not because I’m racist or sexist, but because it almost seems foolish. Why can’t we just have great reporters? We have to meet the “status quo” to have a phenomenal newscast and label everything. I have always believed that the best person for the job should get the job. The job should not be decided on color of skin or gender or anything else for that matter. There are many times when I sit down and watch the news, whether local or national, and notice that the reporter is dreadfully boring or ditzy, and has a difficult time reporting the story. Or the anchor doesn’t listen to the interviewee. It’s terrible. Doesn’t it almost seem racist when the news station sends the black reporter to the black neighborhood for a story, or the older, more experienced reporter to the nursing home for grandma’s 101st birthday. How is this diversity? Does it cover the spectrum? Yes. Is it fair? No. There are tons of great reporters out there just waiting for their shot. But will they ever get it if the newsroom must be “diverse”? Man, woman, black, white, it doesn’t matter. Just make sure you give me the best newscast possible.
For me it comes down to the word diversity. I completely agree with being diverse in everything we do, but I believe that when we label it, it gets out of hand and is far more segregating, which hurts us more than it helps us. By saying we need to be more diverse all the time, I believe it only pushes us further away from that goal.

Final Thought: Diversity is needed hands down, but I don’t believe you should attempt to be diverse and sacrifice talent.

No comments: